Awareness a Deaf-blind

Can a deafblind passenger travel independently? What do you think? Is it easy? You can imagine - a deafblind person cannot hear, cannot speak and cannot see. 
But can do many things! Some passengers in railway station, bus stop and airport refuse to help, insult and make fun of deafblind passengers like me. They ask me to go to disability compartment or to front seats in the bus or aircraft. And some rich passengers feel that deafblind passenger may disturb them by asking for financial help.
I am Zamir Dhale - a person with deafblindness - the founder of the Society Of The Empowerment Of the Deaf-Blind(SEDB) India,  and a Disability rights activist. SEDB is the first organization in India run by the deafblind people.

 I have travelled a lot across many places in India, alone. I have faced many problems: missed my way, even missed my train, and also flight. I tried to fight with crew members at airport few years back for de-boarding me from the aircraft twice. The crew members never understood my problems. I pulled their hand and started to communicate by writing on their palm. I asked them to re-book my ticket to board another flight. I fought to get confirmation on my reserved ticket which was on waiting list. I have stood in a long queue to book railway ticket at railway station along with a copy of my railway concession certificate. Because online booking does not allow us to book with disability concession. Once, the ticket checker refused to listen to my requests to give me a seat in sleeper or AC coach. The TC asked me to go to the general coach. I did not go there and ignored their words. I slept on the floor of AC train. The attendant refused to give me bed sheets, pillow and blanket which were given to other passengers. I was firm with my actions. Policemen came and asked me to leave the train. I replied that if I was thrown out, I would file a case against TC and policemen in high court. Hearing this they agreed to give me a seat.

These are some of the challenges I have faced in my life.

Similarly, when I talked about my dreams to setup an NGO with some of my friends who are lawyers, and those in the NGO sector, they suggested that it was not possible because of recession in economy in 2010. I went ahead and setup my own NGO in 2015 named SEDB. Some people started feeling jealous about my success. They asked me to go back to the NGO working for deafblind called - Sense India and earn a good salary. I did not want to just work there and become rich. I wanted to help all my other deafblind friends  in this world. 

Technology has been a big enabler for me.  I learnt to use , 'Where Is My train' app on my phone. This helps me to find out which platform will I have to go to board my train. Whenever I travel to Mumbai from Pune I do not seek help from other passengers. I have learnt to wait at the right platform and board the right train independently. I use google maps to check stations and get down when the alarm rings at my station. I walk to find the local train with help of app that connects phone to the Braille device. I am thankful to technology that enables me access various aspects of mainstream society comfortably.  
However, I must say, there is no Braille board on the trains to indicate coach number. Only there is Braille seat numbers on the seats inside the train. 
What about TV which is inaccessible without an interpreter? Deaf can watch TV channels and series. I can read news reported on netizens, but I want to see emotions being interpreted on TV shows. 
I urge that the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting should take note of this.
Also government of India should make a separate category for deaf-blindness under RPwd Act.  

I was able to achieve many things and see bright side of life because of so many activists who are deafblind. My experience would be useful for other deafblind people. I try to motivate many friends who are deafblind and deaf-low vision. I created a big group on whatsapp named [SEDB Inclusion Deafblind] more than 200 deafblind and deaf-low vision people joined this group by 2022. We discuss about human rights and also about Covid-19 pandemic…

Popular posts from this blog

Deaf-Blind Catagorised as Multiple - Disability. Why?

India Deaf Expo 2023 and 2nd NCDB 2023

Reporting on trip to WFDB workshop at Kenya!